This dreck posted by Poromenos on Thursday, August 19, 2004

What is the world coming to?

It's yesterday. I'm on my newbie (whenever I'm on a low level char I act like a newbie, it's psychological, shut up and read). I'm stranded at the square and I desperately need to get back to the hq, but I'm out of recalls. There are about 10 people there, so I'm thinking, "one of these good people is bound to have a recall on him", so I politely say "OMFG GIVE ME A RECALL I'M STRANDED". Nobody responded, so I kept repeating my polite request a for a couple of minutes, at which time I got a response, although it was not at all what I expected. Instead of giving me a recall, people tried to convince me that I didn't need one, sort of like the opposite of telemarketers.
The conversation was something like this:
-Why do you want a recall, it brings you north of here anyway.
-NO IM BAALI I HAVE TO GET TO HQ
-Why not just portal?
-IM LEV 10 I AM A THEIF PLZ GIVE ME RECALL
-Just use your mage to make a portal.
-ITS FAR AWAY I CANNOT MAKE PORTALK PLZ HELP
-Just go 8w of here and portal to Bukken.
You can imagine my frustration, since this entire conversation could have been avoided with his giving me a recall. He was an av warrior, so I'm sure he had some, but nooooo... Whoever said that crap about giving a man a fish and teaching them to fish, never MUDded. I WANT A FUCKING FISH, JUST GIVE IT TO ME.
After a few minutes I found a kind soul that wanted to help. "Great!", I thought. "My torment is finally over!". But, o cruel fate! Little did I know that this person also had read too much Chinese philosophy, and he was confused with all the fishes and men. He tried to teach me how to buy recalls. He prompted me to walk southward with him, but I promptly ignored his suggestions and waited patiently for some charitable person to aid me in my quest for recall. All my ordermates were walking past the square without so much as looking at me, which infuriated me even more and urged me to comment kindly on their behaviour, offering constructive criticism such as "YOU SUX", "UP URS" and "DIE FAGG0R". Unfortunately, they chose not to heed my advice, and left me to my begging, much like a cheap whore trying to score a trick.
When I finally realised that noone was going to help me, I decided to swallow my pride and go buy a recall. The helpful fish person was still 2 south urging me to follow him west, which I did. After a bit of useless wandering about, we reached the recall selling place, and I bought one and recall.
What is the world coming to? I remember in the olden days, when you would so much as imply that you needed a recall and not only 10 people would give you bags full of them, but dozens of people would trans you portalfuls of recalls. These youngsters have no sense of morality whatsoever. I tried to teach them some manners a while ago (some of you may remember the Murders in Rue Newb) but unfortunately not only did I fail miserably, but what was meant to be a valuable life's lesson ended up with me getting helled for 15 days (for the first time in my career, I might add). I don't know what we can do, if you have any ideas feel free to comment on this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey its Horadric, im a big fan of your works ;)

that does kinda suck, but then again you can always let out your frustration on helpless newbies later, that always passes the time! :D

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home